Frequently Asked Questions
Transparency and consistent customer orientation are main success factors of our business. Please find questions and answers about important SmartYacht-topics below. If you have any other individual question, please contact us. We are pleased to respond at your earliest convenience.
Owning your own yacht will normally cost you more than ten percent of the purchase price in overheads per annum, plus considerable personal time and effort for management, maintenance and care. As a sensible alternative, SmartYacht offers cost-effective yacht co-ownership of motor yachts in the Med, based on successful approaches for private aircraft – thus setting a new benchmark for the yachting sector.
At the heart of our concept are the following principles: secured ownership (no time-share!), flexible usage and shared costs. Four or less owners share costs of purchase and maintenance and can use their vessel for a guaranteed number of weeks/year. A 3-season-system for bookings and an online reservation system guarantee a fair and flexible allocation of time among the fractional owners. At SmartYacht, you enjoy all the advantages of your own yacht with regard to access and utilization, but you pay only a portion of the costs. SmartYacht assumes the total yacht management, i.e. you don’t have to worry about anything. Just come aboard.
Your advantages at a glance
• Shared costs for purchase and maintenance
• Motor yachts of renowned brands (>50ft, location Med)
• Fair and flexible usage through 3-season system and online reservation
• All-season yacht management & all-inclusive service package
• Return for fractional owners through charter
• Real secure ownership without any time limit
Aimed at fulfilling individual customer desires, SmartYacht offers two options:
- CREWED Program: Crew (at least 1 captain) throughout the entire year aboard the
yacht, higher service level, return for the co-owner via chartering of the yacht to
others is possible
- BASIC-Program: The co-owner navigates the yacht him/herself, no permanent crew is
aboard (personnel only upon request or for training purposes), reduced annual costs, no
chartering of the yacht to others is possible
Please have a look at basics to get an quick overview!
The amounts of the share price and proportionate annual costs depend on the yacht’s purchase price and other factors such as its size, condition (new / used), location and number of crew members. The share price amounts the particular share, e.g. ¼, of the yacht’s purchase price.
The annual operating costs of a yacht comprise, according to the particular yacht class, 8% to 12% of the new purchase price of the yacht. In the framework of an offer, the annual costs consist of the basic operational costs (administration, mooring, yacht management, maintenance, insurance, etc.) as well as the services pursuant to the SmartYacht service package (shopping service, personal items aboard, etc.) – these costs shall vary according to the yacht class, the home port, the size and the age of the yacht. In the detailed offer, the particular cost positions for the respective yacht will be individually calculated and transparently demonstrated. The annual costs indicated by us in the offer will be based on previously determined empirical values and shall be valid throughout the current year. At the end of the year, all payments made will be listed and deducted in a transparent manner. Given this result, a calculation will then be made for the following year.
Furthermore, in the framework of the CREWED Program, SmartYacht gives the shareholders the opportunity to reduce annual costs by temporarily chartering out the yacht for profit, allowing costs to be reduced. Thereby, each shareholder releases part of his/her usage at the beginning of the year. The chartering-for-profit option is available only in cases of yachts having a crew.
In addition to the annual costs, a fund for maintenance and repair funds is being set up. The contributions to the funds will be applied exclusively to cover current repairs and maintenance work on the yacht. Following the sale of the yacht, unused portions of this fund will be proportionally refunded to the shareholders in relation to their respective share of yacht ownership.
Please have a look at the financial section to find out more about the (annual) costs and compare co-ownership with charter and full ownership!
Main Season: approx. beginning of June to the end of September
Off-Peak Season: April, May, October, November
Low Season: approx. beginning of December to the end of March
Distribution of advance reservation time periods per share
Example 1/4 share: 9 weeks advance reservation time periods per year 3 weeks in each season (high, mid and low season)
Example 1/3 share: 12 weeks advance reservation time periods per year 4 weeks in each season (high, mid and low season)
The remaining free periods are available to the co-owners for short-term, flexible usage or to the managers for maintenance, overhauling or repairs.
In the CREWED program, die yacht can be periodically chartered for profit. Thereby, each co-owner waivers a portion of the advance reservation period and SmartYacht releases the remaining free periods for chartering. Example: With a ¼ share, you waiver per season one week‘s reservation, i.e. you have 2 weeks/season (6 weeks a year) remaining for reserving the yacht for your own usage. If as of one week prior to a desired period the yacht has not yet been booked for a charter, the owners are nevertheless entitled to use the yacht themselves.
As a fundamental matter, a captain aboard is advantageous in various respects:
- The shareholders don’t have to bother with the daily details. The captain plans the desired routes, reserves berths in the respective harbours, prepares the yacht for the appropriate guests and is responsible for the operation of the yacht, i.e., you can truly enjoy your freedom aboard and need not worry about the next course or the height of the waves.
- The captain is aboard throughout the entire year and is simultaneously responsible for the organisation of the yacht management (cleaning, maintenance, etc.) and serves as the contact person for all shareholders (coordination, etc.).
- The captain has expert knowledge as to the yacht and its operational area. That means that the risk that the yacht will be damaged by false manoeuvring is minimised. This is naturally advantageous to all shareholders!
- It is worth having a good captain aboard. On the one hand, he can personally carry out necessary maintenance and repairs for the yacht, instead of having to call in third parties for such matters. On the other hand, he keeps the yacht in good condition and up-to-date. In doing so, he also enhances the value of the yacht for subsequent sale.
- One of the most important aspects is safety. Yachts of this size displace at least 30 tonnes. This means that there are certain inherent dangers. Inattentiveness during docking operations, for example, can result in severed fingers. Hus, it is better to have a professional in your service while manoeuvring – even if you are at the helm. Moreover, strong sea breezes and high waves even in harbours can lead to further dangers. Therefore, steering a vessel weighing some 30 tonnes requires a great deal of experience.
In particular, home ports in southern France and along the Balearic Islands (e.g. Mallorca, Ibiza) are very much in demand, given that these are not only ideal starting points for destinations throughout the entire western Mediterranean (Corsica, Sardinia, Spain, etc.), but also because of their very good international flight connections and the high charter demands.
SPORTS class: 45 – 60ft
EXECUTIVE class: 60 – 75ft
LUXURY class: >75ft
Depending on their size and the specific offering, the yachts are sailed by their co-owners or a crew. SmartYacht is not affiliated with any particular make of yacht and can therefore meet individual wishes. We use a special tool to quickly calculate the amounts of the share prices and the yearly fees for any model. In the best interests of the yacht co-owners, however, we always try to limit the fleet to as few brands as possible, because this enables us to stock spare parts and make repairs faster and more economically. In addition, SmartYacht will provide competent advice for prospective co-owners when choosing a yacht. In this respect, we pay special attention to the reliability and safety of the vessels, drawing on over 20 years of experience.
You can make advance reservations for the yacht you own a share in. As soon as you purchase a share, the calendar for the yacht concerned is made available for reservations up to 12 months in advance. From then on, you can reserve the yacht as you please on a first come, first served basis for up to your maximum advance reservation time allotment. The system automatically ensures that the yacht is available to each fractional owners during part of each season (high season: June - September, mid season: April, May, Oct., Nov.; low season: Dec. - March).
Short-term “last minute” reservations (i.e. no sooner than seven days and no later than 48 hours in advance) can be made within the scope of our multi-yacht, multi-location programme for any yacht of the same or a lower class at any location, above and beyond your time allotment. There is no additional charge for this - except for the costs of utilization (see Page 6).